KWU News
News Photo
Sat, Oct. 6, 2012 - [Football]

HILLSBORO – All season long the Kansas Wesleyan Coyotes had relied on its bend but don't break defense to win games. On Saturday against Tabor at Joel Wiens Stadium, the defense surrendered 510 yards rushing as the Bluejays routed the Coyotes 56-31.

Tabor's 510 yards rushing sets a new team record for the Bluejays and is the most the Coyotes have allowed on the ground all season long and the most given up by the Coyotes since allowing 421 to Friends last season.


The Coyotes were also hampered by four turnovers, three of them interceptions by quarterback Trey Dallas and the other a fumble by Brett Giesen in the first quarter. Dallas did throw for over 300 yards for the first time in his career with 304 on 20-of-34 passing and tossed three touchdowns as well, all to Zach McClain.


Tabor dominated the offensive side of the ball, running 89 plays for a total of 560 yards. James Monroe had 192 yards rushing and scored four times, while quarterback Simon McKee rushed 19 times for 152 yards and two scores.


The Coyotes had a chance to take the early lead with the first possession of the game, but after the Coyotes drove to the Tabor 14, a holding penalty back the Coyotes up to the 29, where they had to settle for a 46 yard field goal try by Terry Stecker that was wide left.


Tabor's ensuing drive stalled and then the Coyotes got on the board with a 28-yard field goal from Stecker on their next drive to take a 3-0 lead with 7:26 left in the first quarter. Tabor answered back, using a 38-yard run by McKee to set up his own 3-yard score two plays later to put the Bluejays ahead 7-3 with 5:16 to go in the quarter.


Tabor drove to the KWU-7 and was faced with a  4th-and-1 when the Coyotes were called for an offside penalty to give the Bluejays first and goal at the KWU-3. Two plays later, Tabor was in the endzone again, a 1-yard score by Monroe to take a 14-3 lead with 14:56 to go in the second quarter.


Wesleyan would have an answer, using a 26-yard pass from Dallas to McClain to convert a 3rd-and-20 from the Tabor 47, and three plays later Dallas would hit McClain from 17 yards out to make it 14-10 in favor of Tabor with 11:45 to go in the half.


McKee scored on Tabor's next drive, scoring on a quarterback keeper from seven yards out to cap a 9-play, 71 yard drive to make it 21-10 Tabor with 8:10 to go in the half. After a stalled drive by the Coyotes Tabor scored again, this time on an 11-yard run by Monroe to make it 28-10 with 3:36 to go before the half.


Dallas was intercepted on the Coyotes' next drive, but Tabor gave the ball right back to the Coyotes when Monroe fumbled at the KWU-22 to give the ball right back to the Coyotes. Wesleyan would go backwards on a personal foul penalty and elect to head into the half trailing 28-10.


Tabor took the ball to open the second half and went 75 yards in nine plays, capping the drive with a 13-yard scoring run by Monroe. Monroe also had the big carry on the drive for the Bluejays, rushing for 24 yards earlier in the march.


The Coyotes gave the ball right back to Tabor as JP DeJesus picked off Dallas on the first play of the Wesleyan drive, and four plays later, Tabor was in the endzone again on a 6-yard pass from McKee to Darian Polk to take a 42-10 lead with 9:45 to go in the third.


Wesleyan would rebound, using a penalty on Tabor to get a first down and then capped the drive with a 23-yard pass from Dallas to Joe Vela and then the scoring play, a 36-yard catch and run to McClain to get the Coyotes back within a 42-17 margin with 7:59 to go in the third.


Tabor's next drive stalled at their own 29, and Taylor Sachs would block Joe Cannon's punt and Blaine Ruiz recovered at the Tabor-17 to set up Dallas' nine-yard scramble for a score. Stecker would miss the PAT, his first miss of the season, as Wesleyan cut the lead to 42-23 with 3:33 to go in the third.


Back came Tabor, capping a 14-play, 74 yard, nearly six minute long drive with a 3-yard run by Brandon Johnson to give Tabor a 49-23 lead with 12:33 to go in the fourth quarter. The Coyotes would answer back on the next drive, using an illegal substitution penalty on Tabor to keep the drive going, then capping the match with a 41-yard pass from Dallas to McClain and then Dallas hit McClain for the 2-point conversion to get the Coyotes within 18 at 49-31 with 9:56 to go.


Tabor tacked on one last touchdown with 4:54 to go when Monroe scored from four yards out to give the Bluejays the 56-31 lead.


After a stalled Wesleyan drive, Tabor took over at its own 13 and was able to get two first downs to be able to run out the clock giving them the big win.


Giesen rushed 17 times for 55 yards, while Dallas had seven carries for 15 yards and a touchdown. McClain caught seven passes for 149 yards, while Seth Myers added seven grabs for 55 yards. Joe Vela had two receptions for 72 yard and Albert Geason had two catches for 14 yards for the Coyotes.


Wesleyan returns home next week, stepping out of conference for the final time in 2012, hosting NCAA Division II Southern Nazarene at 7 p.m., at Salina Stadium.

Bookmark and Share